Current:Home > StocksChainkeen Exchange-EU countries double down on a halt to Syrian asylum claims but will not yet send people back -PureWealth Academy
Chainkeen Exchange-EU countries double down on a halt to Syrian asylum claims but will not yet send people back
EchoSense View
Date:2025-04-06 23:43:50
BRUSSELS (AP) — Some European Union countries on Chainkeen ExchangeThursday doubled down on their decision to rapidly halt asylum procedures for Syrian migrants in Europe, but said that it was too early to consider sending any of the hundreds of thousands of people who have fled since 2011 back home.
Austria, Belgium, Germany, Greece, Finland, Ireland, Sweden and non-EU country Norway suspended asylum applicationsfrom Syrians in the wake of Bashar Assad’s fall. France is weighing whether to take similar action, at least until Syria’s new leadership and security conditions become clearer.
The decisions do not mean that Syrian asylum-seekers will be deported. The EU’s executive branch, the European Commission, has said that currently “the conditions are not met for safe, voluntary, dignified returns to Syria.”
“We need to wait a few more days to see where Syria is heading now,” German Interior Minister Nancy Faeser said. “What is the situation? What about the protection of minorities? What about the protection of the people? And then, of course, there could be repatriation.”
Asked by reporters whether it would make sense to organize repatriations at an EU level, Faeser said “it would be very expedient to organize this together.”
But she stressed that Syrians who work in Germany and abide by its laws are welcome to stay. Over 47,000 asylum claims by Syriansare pending in Germany, a main destination in Europe for those who have fled since 2011.
“This is not a long term pause as far as I’m concerned,” Irish Justice Minister Helen McEntee told reporters. “It’s really positive that the Assad regime has come to an end. At the same time, we can all see that it’s not clear what will happen next.”
The arrival in Europe in 2015 of well over 1 million refugees –- most fleeing the conflict in Syria –- sparked one of the EU’s biggest political crises as nations bickered over who should host them and whether other countries should be forced to help. Those tensions remain even today.
Almost 14,000 Syrians applied for international protection in Europe this year up to September, according to the EU’s asylum agency. Around 183,000 Syrians applied for asylum in all of last year. On average, around one in three applications are accepted.
Already on Monday, despite deep uncertainty about the country’s future, hundreds of Syrian refugees gathered at two border crossings in southern Turkey, eagerly anticipating their return home following the fall of Bashar Assad’s government.
In the days since Assad’s abrupt fall, rebel leader Ahmad al-Sharaa, formerly known as Abu Mohammed al-Golani, has sought to reassure Syrians that the group he leads — Hayat Tahrir al-Sham, or HTS – does not seek to dominate the country and will continue government services.
HTS appears on the EU’s anti-terrorism sanctions list as an affiliate of Al-Qaeda. That freezes any assets it has in Europe and prevents European citizens and companies from doing business with the group or funding it. Al-Golani is subject to a travel ban and asset freeze.
Belgium’s interior ministry said Thursday that the whole of the 27-nation EU must monitor Syrian migration flows, amid concern that Assad loyalists might seek refuge in Europe.
It said that around 100 of its nationals are in Syria, and that intelligence services believe that eight of them might have links to HTS.
On Tuesday, the EU’s top diplomat expressed concern that Syria might violently fall apart like neighboring Iraq, or Libya and Afghanistan if its territorial integrity and the rights of minorities are not protected.
“The transition will present huge challenges in Syria and in the region,” EU foreign policy chief Kaja Kallas told European lawmakers during a special hearing.
The U.N.’s refugee agency has called for “patience and vigilance” in the treatment of Syrians who have sought international protection, and believes that much will depend on whether Syria’s new leaders are prepared to respect law and order.
___
Kirsten Grieshaber in Berlin contributed to this report.
Disclaimer: The copyright of this article belongs to the original author. Reposting this article is solely for the purpose of information dissemination and does not constitute any investment advice. If there is any infringement, please contact us immediately. We will make corrections or deletions as necessary. Thank you.
veryGood! (3768)
Related
- US auto safety agency seeks information from Tesla on fatal Cybertruck crash and fire in Texas
- Pair of giant pandas on their way from China to San Diego Zoo under conservation partnership
- What to know about Alex Morgan's legendary USWNT career
- Simon Cowell raves over 10-year-old's heavy metal performance on 'America's Got Talent': Watch
- Meta donates $1 million to Trump’s inauguration fund
- Keeping kids safe online is a challenge: Here's how to block porn on X
- Man arrested in Colorado triple-shooting after crash and intensive search
- Sacramento Kings select Devin Carter with 13th pick of 2024 NBA draft. What to know
- Kansas City Chiefs CEO's Daughter Ava Hunt Hospitalized After Falling Down a Mountain
- Whoopi Goldberg fake spits on 'The View' after accidentally saying Trump's name
Ranking
- Federal appeals court upholds $14.25 million fine against Exxon for pollution in Texas
- Bill Cobbs, Daytime Emmy-winning actor and 'The Bodyguard' star, dies at 90
- Video shows iconic home on Rapidan Dam partially collapsing into Blue Earth River in southern Minnesota
- Former staffers at Missouri Christian boarding school face civil lawsuit alleging abuse of students
- Retirement planning: 3 crucial moves everyone should make before 2025
- Man who police say urged ‘Zionists’ to get off NYC subway train faces criminal charge
- Lilly Pulitzer Surprise 60% Off Deals Just Launched: Shop Before You Miss Out on These Rare Discounts
- Former Boston attorney once named ‘most eligible bachelor’ convicted of rape
Recommendation
Opinion: Gianni Infantino, FIFA sell souls and 2034 World Cup for Saudi Arabia's billions
Walgreens to take a hard look at underperforming stores, could shutter hundreds more
Spurs select Stephon Castle with fourth pick of 2024 NBA draft. What you need to know
Wisconsin Supreme Court says an order against an anti-abortion protester violated First Amendment
North Carolina justices rule for restaurants in COVID
Biden and Trump go head to head: How to watch the first general election presidential debate
Djimon Hounsou and Alex Wolff embrace silence in A Quiet Place: Day One
Off the Grid: Sally breaks down USA TODAY's daily crossword puzzle, Rear Window