Current:Home > ContactTrial on hold for New Jersey man charged in knife attack that injured Salman Rushdie -PureWealth Academy
Trial on hold for New Jersey man charged in knife attack that injured Salman Rushdie
Rekubit View
Date:2025-04-06 23:43:50
MAYVILLE, N.Y. (AP) — The attempted murder trial of the man charged with severely injuring author Salman Rushdie in a 2022 knife attack was put on hold Friday while judges consider a request to move it to another county.
Jury selection had been scheduled to start on Tuesday.
Late Friday, an appellate judge in Rochester halted proceedings until the court rules on a motion by Hadi Matar’s attorney for a change of venue out of Chautauqua County, where the attack occurred.
The court could rule on the motion as early as Tuesday — the courts are closed Monday — but the trial has been taken off the calendar until further notice, District Attorney Jason Schmidt said.
“It presents another layer of difficulties and challenges for us,” he said. “I’m disappointed.”
Matar’s attorney, Nathaniel Barone, did not immediately respond to a request for comment.
Matar has been held without bail since rushing the stage as Rushdie prepared to speak at the Chautauqua Institution and stabbing him more than a dozen times before being subdued by onlookers.
The “Satanic Verses” author was left blinded in one eye. The event’s moderator, Henry Reese, was also wounded.
Matar has pleaded not guilty to attempted murder and assault.
In a separate indictment, federal authorities allege that Matar was motivated by a terrorist organization’s endorsement of a fatwa, or edict, calling for Rushdie’s death. A separate trial on the federal charges — terrorism transcending national boundaries, providing material support to terrorists and attempting to provide material support to a terrorist organization — will be scheduled in U.S. District Court in Buffalo.
veryGood! (4)
Related
- In ‘Nickel Boys,’ striving for a new way to see
- How Black resistance has been depicted in films over the years
- Newly released footage of a 1986 Titanic dive reveals the ship's haunting interior
- George Saunders on how a slaughterhouse and some obscene poems shaped his writing
- Olympic men's basketball bracket: Results of the 5x5 tournament
- The 2022 Oscars' best original song nominees, cruelly ranked
- Rachael & Vilray share a mic — and a love of old swing standards
- The New Black Film Canon is your starting point for great Black filmmaking
- Sam Taylor
- Is the U.S. government designating too many documents as 'classified'?
Ranking
- USA men's volleyball mourns chance at gold after losing 5-set thriller, will go for bronze
- Marie Kondo revealed she's 'kind of given up' on being so tidy. People freaked out
- LBJ biographer Robert Caro reflects on fame, power and the presidency
- 'Return to Seoul' is a funny, melancholy film that will surprise you start to finish
- NHL in ASL returns, delivering American Sign Language analysis for Deaf community at Winter Classic
- Why I'm running away to join the circus (really)
- 'El Juicio' detalla el régimen de terror de la dictadura argentina 1976-'83
- 'Camera Man' unspools the colorful life of silent film star Buster Keaton
Recommendation
IOC's decision to separate speed climbing from other disciplines paying off
'Perry Mason' returns for Season 2, but the reboot is less fun than the original
'Olivia' creator and stage designer Ian Falconer dies at 63
Queen of salsa Celia Cruz will be the first Afro Latina to appear on a U.S. quarter
Police remove gator from pool in North Carolina town: Watch video of 'arrest'
'Wait Wait' for Jan. 28, 2023: With Not My Job guest Natasha Lyonne
Fear, Florida, and The 1619 Project
Highlights from the 2023 Sundance Film Festival