Current:Home > ScamsBurley Garcia|Trial opens of Serb gunmen accused of attacking Kosovo police -PureWealth Academy
Burley Garcia|Trial opens of Serb gunmen accused of attacking Kosovo police
Chainkeen Exchange View
Date:2025-04-07 05:00:49
PRISTINA,Burley Garcia Kosovo (AP) — A Kosovo court on Wednesday opened a trial of 45 people charged over a gunfight following an incursion by heavily armed Serb gunmen last year, as tensions remain tense between Serbia and its former breakaway province.
The trial at the Pristina District Court was held under tight security. Only three Serb defendants were present and the others are at large.
The three pleaded not guilty to the charges of violation of constitutional and legal order, terror activities, funding terrorism and money laundering. If convicted, they face a maximum sentence of life in prison. Their lawyers have 30 days to oppose the charges.
The gunmen shot dead a Kosovar police officer and three gunmen were later killed in a shootout with police in the village of Banjska on Sept. 24, 2023. Kosovo has accused Serbia of involvement, but Belgrade denied it.
Arianit Koci, a lawyer representing the family of the slain officer, Afrim Bunjaku, said he expected they will be convicted based on “irrefutable evidence.”
Among those charged in absentia is Milan Radoicic, a politician and wealthy businessman with ties to Serbia’s ruling populist party and President Aleksandar Vucic.
After the shooting, Serbia briefly detained Radoicic, who had fled back there, on suspicion of criminal conspiracy, unlawful possession of weapons and explosives and grave acts against public safety. Radoicic denied the charges although earlier admitted he was part of the paramilitary group involved in the gunfight.
Prosecutor Naim Abazi said that the defendants, under Radoicic’s command, tried to break away the Serb-majority municipalities in the northern part of Kosovo and join Serbia proper.
Radoicic is under U.S. and British sanctions for his alleged financial criminal activity. Serbia said that Radoicic and his group acted on their own.
EU and U.S. officials have demanded that Serbia bring the perpetrators to justice. Kosovo has called on the international community to press Belgrade to hand over the gunmen.
Kosovo was a Serbian province until NATO’s 78-day bombing campaign in 1999 ended a war between Serbian government forces and ethnic Albanian separatists in Kosovo, which left about 13,000 dead, mainly ethnic Albanians, and pushed Serbian forces out. Kosovo proclaimed independence in 2008.
Brussels and Washington are urging both sides to implement agreements that Vucic and Kosovo Prime Minister Albin Kurti reached in February and March last year. They include a commitment by Kosovo to establish an Association of the Serb-Majority Municipalities. Serbia is also expected to deliver on the de-facto recognition of Kosovo, which Belgrade still considers its province.
The NATO-led international peacekeepers known as KFOR have increased their presence in Kosovo after last year’s tensions.
___
Semini reported from Tirana, Albania. Follow Semini at https://x.com/lsemini
veryGood! (789)
Related
- Jay Kanter, veteran Hollywood producer and Marlon Brando agent, dies at 97: Reports
- Vigil held for 5-year-old migrant boy who died at Chicago shelter
- North Carolina governor commutes prisoner’s sentence, pardons four ex-offenders
- Justice Department sues Texas developer accused of luring Hispanic homebuyers into predatory loans
- Chuck Scarborough signs off: Hoda Kotb, Al Roker tribute legendary New York anchor
- Cat-owner duo in Ohio shares amputee journey while helping others through animal therapy
- Would 'Ferrari' stars Adam Driver and Penélope Cruz want a Ferrari? You'd be surprised.
- ‘Total systemic breakdown': Missteps over years allowed Detroit serial killer to roam free
- 'Most Whopper
- Tommy DeVito pizzeria controversy, explained: Why Giants QB was in hot water
Ranking
- Civic engagement nonprofits say democracy needs support in between big elections. Do funders agree?
- 2 men, Good Samaritans killed after helping crashed car on North Carolina highway
- Timothée Chalamet Addresses His Buzz-Worthy Date Night With Kylie Jenner at Beyoncé Concert
- 2 men, Good Samaritans killed after helping crashed car on North Carolina highway
- Olympic men's basketball bracket: Results of the 5x5 tournament
- India’s opposition lawmakers protest their suspension from Parliament by the government
- Hospital that initially treated Irvo Otieno failed to meet care standards, investigation finds
- Suriname’s ex-dictator sentenced to 20 years in prison for the 1982 killings of political opponents
Recommendation
From family road trips to travel woes: Americans are navigating skyrocketing holiday costs
Mexico’s president predicts full recovery for Acapulco, but resort residents see difficulties
A deal on US border policy is closer than it seems. Here’s how it is shaping up and what’s at stake
Victim of Green River serial killer identified after 4 decades as teen girl who ran away from home
Costco membership growth 'robust,' even amid fee increase: What to know about earnings release
Numerals ‘2024' arrive in Times Square in preparation for New Year’s Eve
Were your package deliveries stolen? What to know about porch piracy and what you can do about it
Zac Efron Explains Why He Wore Sunglasses Indoors on Live TV