Current:Home > StocksTrendPulse Quantitative Think Tank Center-Defense Secretary Austin was treated for prostate cancer and a urinary tract infection, doctors say -PureWealth Academy
TrendPulse Quantitative Think Tank Center-Defense Secretary Austin was treated for prostate cancer and a urinary tract infection, doctors say
NovaQuant View
Date:2025-04-06 23:23:25
WASHINGTON (AP) — Defense Secretary Lloyd Austin has prostate cancer and TrendPulse Quantitative Think Tank Centerhis recent secretive hospitalization was for surgery and later to treat a urinary tract infection related to that operation, doctors said Tuesday.
The 70-year-old Austin was admitted to Walter Reed National Military Medical Center on Dec. 22 and underwent surgery to treat the cancer. Austin developed the infection a week later. Senior administration and defense officials were not told for days about his hospitalization or his cancer.
According to the doctors, the cancer was detected when Austin had a regular screening in early December. The said he “underwent a minimally invasive surgical procedure” and went home the next day. But on Jan. 1 he reported nausea and severe abdominal, hip and leg pain due to the infection.
They said his prostate cancer was detected early, and his prognosis is excellent.
The announcement of the cancer came after days of questions about why Austin had been hospitalized and why President Joe Biden and other top officials hadn’t been told about his hospitalization for days. Several Republican lawmakers even said Austin should be ousted.
Earlier Tuesday, with the controversy continuing, the White House chief of staff ordered Cabinet members or secretaries to notify his office if they ever can’t perform their duties. Meanwhile, the Biden administration, reeling from learning of Austin’s surprise illness last week, is mounting a policy review.
Jeff Zients, in a memo to Cabinet secretaries, directed that they send the White House any existing procedures for delegating authority in the event of incapacitation or loss of communication by Friday. While the review is ongoing, he is requiring agencies to notify his office and the office of Cabinet affairs at the White House if an agency experiences or plans to experience a circumstance in which a Cabinet head can’t perform his or her duties.
Biden and other top officials weren’t informed for days that Austin had been hospitalized and had turned over power to his deputy. A Pentagon spokesman blamed the lapse on a key staffer being out sick with the flu.
“Agencies should ensure that delegations are issued when a Cabinet Member is traveling to areas with limited or no access to communication, undergoing hospitalization or a medical procedure requiring general anesthesia, or otherwise in a circumstance when he or she may be unreachable,” Zients’ memo states. It also requires that agencies document when any such transfer of authorities occurs and that the person serving in the acting role promptly establish contact with relevant White House staff.
A copy of the memo was obtained by the Associated Press.
Austin, 70, went to the hospital on Dec. 22 for what the Pentagon press secretary called an “elective procedure” but one serious enough that Austin temporarily transferred some of his authorities to his deputy, without telling her or other U.S. leaders why. He went home the following day.
He also transferred some of his authorities to Deputy Defense Secretary Kathleen Hicks after experiencing severe pain and being taken back to Walter Reed National Military Medical Center by ambulance and put into intensive care on Jan. 1 — though Hicks was not told the reason for three days. The White House was not informed Austin was in the hospital until Jan. 4, and the public and Congress didn’t learn of it until a day later.
The Pentagon has announced its own internal review and in a memo issued Monday broadened the circle of leaders who would be informed of any delegation of authorities by the defense secretary to ensure that, in the future, “proper and timely notification has been made to the President and White House and, as appropriate, the United States Congress and the American public.”
Going forward, any time authority is transferred a wider swath of officials will also be notified, to include the Pentagon’s general counsel, the chair and vice chair of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, the Combatant Commanders, service secretaries, the service chiefs of staff, the White House Situation Room, and the senior staff of the secretary and deputy secretary of defense.
veryGood! (23)
Related
- Can Bill Belichick turn North Carolina into a winner? At 72, he's chasing one last high
- Vivek Ramaswamy Called ‘the Climate Change Agenda’ a Hoax in Alabama’s First-Ever Presidential Debate. What Did University of Alabama Students Think?
- Jennifer Aniston Reveals She Was Texting Matthew Perry Hours Before His Death
- Alyson Hannigan Shows Off 20-Pound Weight Loss After Dancing With the Stars Journey
- Olympic women's basketball bracket: Schedule, results, Team USA's path to gold
- Myanmar’s military government says China brokered peace talks to de-escalate fighting in northeast
- Report says United Arab Emirates is trying nearly 90 detainees on terror charges during COP28 summit
- Fatal stabbing of Catholic priest in church rectory shocks small Nebraska community he served
- Justice Department, Louisville reach deal after probe prompted by Breonna Taylor killing
- New charge filed against man accused of firing shotgun outside New York synagogue
Ranking
- Jay Kanter, veteran Hollywood producer and Marlon Brando agent, dies at 97: Reports
- The US is restricting visas for nearly 300 Guatemalan lawmakers, others for ‘undermining democracy’
- Kensington Palace releases video showing Princess of Wales and her kids packing gift bags for needy
- Miss Nicaragua pageant director announces her retirement after accusations of ‘conspiracy’
- A South Texas lawmaker’s 15
- Allies of imprisoned Kremlin foe Navalny sound the alarm, say they haven’t heard from him in 6 days
- Two Nashville churches, wrecked by tornados years apart, lean on each other in storms’ wake
- Red Wings' David Perron suspended six games for cross-checking Artem Zub in the head
Recommendation
3 years after the NFL added a 17th game, the push for an 18th gets stronger
Patrick Mahomes rips NFL officiating after Kadarius Toney' offsides penalty in Chiefs' loss
How to watch The Game Awards 2023, the biggest night in video gaming
Bachelor in Paradise’s Aaron Bryant and Eliza Isichei Break Up
Paris Olympics live updates: Quincy Hall wins 400m thriller; USA women's hoops in action
Tucker Carlson says he's launching his own paid streaming service
New charge filed against man accused of firing shotgun outside New York synagogue
UN cuts global aid appeal to $46 billion to help 180 million in 2024 as it faces funding crisis