Current:Home > InvestNovaQuant Quantitative Think Tank Center:12-year-old student behind spate of fake school bomb threats in Maryland, police say -PureWealth Academy
NovaQuant Quantitative Think Tank Center:12-year-old student behind spate of fake school bomb threats in Maryland, police say
Ethermac View
Date:2025-04-06 23:23:24
Police in Maryland have NovaQuant Quantitative Think Tank Centeridentified a 12-year-old student who they say was behind seven unfounded bomb threat reports earlier this month that prompted evacuations at the three targeted schools each time.
The anonymous threats were made against Montgomery County Public Schools, a district located about 30 miles southwest of Baltimore on the border with Washington, D.C. Between Oct. 13 and 24, the district received five emailed threats to the Montgomery Blair High School, as well as one each to Oak View Elementary School and Silver Spring International School, according to the Montgomery County police.
Montgomery police detectives worked with the school district's IT staff to identify a 12-year-old student as the suspected culprit behind the hoaxes. While detectives said the juvenile admitted responsibility, children under the age of 13 can only be charged with offenses that constitute a "crime of violence" in Maryland, police said.
"It is disheartening to accept that the individual responsible for disrupting the educational process and instilling fear in our community was well aware of the legal limitations surrounding their age," police said in a statement. "They understood that they could not be charged under current Maryland statutes."
Fatal California crash:Driver in Malibu crash that killed 4 Pepperdine students arrested on murder charges
Another bomb threat reported Wednesday at separate high school in district
Shortly after police announced in a press release that detectives had identified the suspect, the department said on X that another bomb threat was reported at Springbrook High School, which is part of the same school district.
It was the second bomb threat reported at the school on Wednesday, Christopher Cramm, a spokesman for the district, said in an email to USA TODAY.
An earlier bomb threat reported at Albert Einstein High School had already proven to be unfounded, Cramm said. He added that police were in the midst of sweeping through Springbrook Wednesday afternoon and had not yet determined the threat to be a hoax.
No other information was immediately available.
'It jeopardizes the safety of our community'
In the case of the previous incidents, police were forced to respond to the targeted school's campus each time to sweep the area and determine that no danger existed before students and staff were allowed back inside.
"In addition to the fear and chaos these threats caused, it is important to acknowledge the significant financial and operational burden each incident placed on our department," police said Wednesday in a statement. "This diversion of resources is unacceptable, and it jeopardizes the safety of our community."
'A tragic end:'Nashville police chief's son wanted in police officers shooting found dead
School district sends letter to families
Montgomery Blair High School Principal Renay Johnson informed the school community in a Wednesday letter that the individual behind the hoaxes had been identified. Johnson also said a safety meeting for the school's students, staff and family was scheduled for Monday evening.
"We can all breathe a sigh of relief knowing that our campus will be free from these harmful and invalid threats from this individual," Johnson said in the letter, which was provided to USA TODAY. "As we move forward, I encourage you to continue being vigilant and proactive in maintaining a safe and secure environment. If you see something, say something."
Eric Lagatta covers breaking and trending news for USA TODAY. Reach him at [email protected]
veryGood! (26)
Related
- NHL in ASL returns, delivering American Sign Language analysis for Deaf community at Winter Classic
- Worker-owed wages: See the top companies, professions paying out the most unclaimed back wages
- Reactions to the death of German soccer great Franz Beckenbauer at the age of 78
- Tiger Woods leaves 27-year relationship with Nike, thanks founder Phil Knight
- Daughter of Utah death row inmate navigates complicated dance of grief and healing before execution
- Franz Beckenbauer, who won the World Cup both as player and coach for Germany, has died at 78
- Gaza cease-fire protests block New York City bridges, and over 300 are arrested
- Migrant caravan regroups in Mexico after government promise of papers falls through
- Drones warned New York City residents about storm flooding. The Spanish translation was no bueno
- These are the top 3 Dow Jones stocks to own in 2024, according to Wall Street
Ranking
- Kansas City Chiefs CEO's Daughter Ava Hunt Hospitalized After Falling Down a Mountain
- Headless, drained of blood and missing thumbs, cold case victim ID'd after nearly 13 years
- A look at recent crashes and safety problems involving Boeing planes
- 'Suits' stars reunite at Golden Globes without Meghan: 'We don't have her number'
- Family of explorer who died in the Titan sub implosion seeks $50M-plus in wrongful death lawsuit
- David Foster's Daughter Sets the Record Straight on Accusation He Abandoned His Older Kids
- Oscar Pistorius released on parole after serving almost 9 years for killing girlfriend Reeva Steenkamp
- CES 2024 updates: Most interesting news and gadgets from tech’s big show
Recommendation
Tropical rains flood homes in an inland Georgia neighborhood for the second time since 2016
Worker-owed wages: See the top companies, professions paying out the most unclaimed back wages
Filipino Catholics pray for Mideast peace in massive procession venerating a black statue of Jesus
W-2 vs. W-4? The key forms to know when you file taxes in 2024.
In ‘Nickel Boys,’ striving for a new way to see
MSNBC’s Mehdi Hasan quits rather than accept demotion at news network
Jo Koy Defends Cute Golden Globes Joke About Taylor Swift Amid Criticism
Pennsylvania Senator sends letter demanding details of baby formula recall