Current:Home > NewsPoinbank:Early Mickey Mouse to star in at least 2 horror flicks, now that Disney copyright is over -PureWealth Academy
Poinbank:Early Mickey Mouse to star in at least 2 horror flicks, now that Disney copyright is over
EchoSense Quantitative Think Tank Center View
Date:2025-04-06 20:19:32
Los Angeles — The earliest iteration of Mickey Mouse is on a rampage, barely two days in the public domain.
Slashed free of Disney's copyright as of Monday, the iconic character from "Steamboat Willie" is already the focus of two horror films. On Monday, just hours after the 1928 short entered the public domain, a trailer for "Mickey's Mouse Trap" dropped on YouTube. Another yet-to-be-titled film was announced Tuesday.
"Steamboat Willie" featured early versions of both Mickey and Minnie Mouse. Directed by Walt Disney and Ub Iwerks, it was the third cartoon featuring the duo they made but the first to be released. In it, a more menacing Mickey, bearing more resemblance to rat than mouse, captains a boat and makes musical instruments out of other animals.
It's perhaps fitting, then, that the first projects announced are seemingly low-budget and campy slasher movies - and not unprecedented. Winnie the Pooh - sans red shirt - entered the public domain in 2022; scarcely a year later, he was notching up a heavy body count in the microbudget "Winnie the Pooh: Blood and Honey."
In the trailer for "Mickey's Mouse Trap," directed by Jamie Bailey, what appears to be a human in a comically small Mickey mask terrorizes a group of young people at an arcade.
"A place for fun. A place for friends. A place for hunting," text flashed during the trailer reads. "The mouse is out."
"We just wanted to have fun with it all. I mean it's 'Steamboat Willie''s Mickey Mouse murdering people," director Jamie Bailey said in a statement cited by trade publications. "It's ridiculous. We ran with it and had fun doing it and I think it shows."
No release date has been set.
The second movie is from director Steven LaMorte, who previously directed a horror parody of "The Grinch," which isn't in the public domain (the movie is thus called "The Mean One").
"A late-night boat ride turns into a desperate fight for survival in New York City when a mischievous mouse becomes a monstrous reality," is the logline for the untitled film, per a post on LaMorte's Instagram.
" 'Steamboat Willie' has brought joy to generations, but beneath that cheerful exterior lies a potential for pure, unhinged terror," LaMorte said in a release cited by trade publications. The movie has yet to begin production.
With the expiration of the 95-year copyright, the public is allowed to use only the initial versions of Mickey and Minnie - not the more familiar character designs.
"We will, of course, continue to protect our rights in the more modern versions of Mickey Mouse and other works that remain subject to copyright," Disney said in a statement ahead of the characters entering the public domain.
LaMorte told Variety that the producers of his film are working with a legal team so as not to run afoul of Disney, and will call their raging rodent Steamboat Willie instead of Mickey Mouse.
"We are doing our due diligence to make sure there's no question or confusion of what we're up to," he said.
- In:
- Disney
veryGood! (992)
Related
- Buckingham Palace staff under investigation for 'bar brawl'
- South Carolina to execute Freddie Owens despite questions over guilt. What to know
- Carrie Coon insists she's not famous. 'His Three Daughters' might change that.
- Police chase in NYC, Long Island ends with driver dead and 7 officers, civilian taken to hospitals
- NCAA President Charlie Baker would be 'shocked' if women's tournament revenue units isn't passed
- Gilmore Girls Star Kelly Bishop Shares Touching Memories of On-Screen Husband Ed Herrmann
- Court takes ‘naked ballots’ case over Pennsylvania mail-in voting
- Court takes ‘naked ballots’ case over Pennsylvania mail-in voting
- Can Bill Belichick turn North Carolina into a winner? At 72, he's chasing one last high
- Lindsay Lohan's Rare Photo With Husband Bader Shammas Is Sweeter Than Ice Cream
Ranking
- Southern California rocked by series of earthquakes: Is a bigger one brewing?
- Nikki Glaser Trolls Aaron Rodgers Over Family Feud and More at New York Jets Game
- Biden opens busy foreign policy stretch as anxious allies shift gaze to Trump, Harris
- Joel Embiid, Philadelphia 76ers agree to three-year, $192.9M extension
- What do we know about the mysterious drones reported flying over New Jersey?
- Horoscopes Today, September 20, 2024
- A strike by Boeing factory workers shows no signs of ending after its first week
- Sean Diddy Combs' Lawyer Shares Update After Suicide Watch Designation
Recommendation
JoJo Siwa reflects on Candace Cameron Bure feud: 'If I saw her, I would not say hi'
NFL analyst Cris Collinsworth to sign contract extension with NBC Sports, per report
Sean Diddy Combs' Lawyer Shares Update After Suicide Watch Designation
What to watch: Let's be bad with 'The Penguin' and 'Agatha All Along'
'Most Whopper
Elle King Shares Positive Personal Update 8 Months After Infamous Dolly Parton Tribute
Patriots coach Jerod Mayo backs Jacoby Brissett as starting quarterback
David Beckham talks family, Victoria doc and how Leonardo DiCaprio helped him win an Emmy