Current:Home > StocksBomb and death threats prompt major Muslim group to move annual banquet -PureWealth Academy
Bomb and death threats prompt major Muslim group to move annual banquet
SafeX Pro View
Date:2025-04-06 18:14:49
Arlington, Va. — A national Muslim civil rights group said Thursday it is moving its annual banquet out of a Virginia hotel that received bomb and death threats possibly linked to the group's concern for Palestinians caught in the Israel-Hamas war.
The Council on American-Islamic Relations, or CAIR, canceled plans to hold its 29th annual banquet on Saturday at the Marriott Crystal Gateway in Arlington, just across the Potomac River from Washington, D.C. The group, which has used the hotel for a decade, will imove the banquet to an undisclosed location with heightened security, the group's statement said.
"In recent days, according to the Marriott, anonymous callers have threatened to plant bombs in the hotel's parking garage, kill specific hotel staff in their homes, and storm the hotel in a repeat of the Jan. 6th attack on the U.S. Capitol if the events moved forward," the statement said.
Arlington police said in an email that the department was investigating a Thursday morning report from the hotel that it received anonymous phone calls, "some referencing threats to bomb," regarding the CAIR event.
Emails seeking comment from the FBI, which CAIR said also is investigating, and the Marriott hotel chain were not immediately answered late Thursday night.
A separate banquet planned for Oct. 28 in Maryland also was cancelled and will be merged with Saturday's event, CAIR said.
The threats came after CAIR updated banquet programming to focus on human rights issues for Palestinians. The group has started an online campaign urging members of Congress to promote a ceasefire in Gaza.
"We strongly condemn the extreme and disgusting threats against our organization, the Marriott hotel and its staff," CAIR National Executive Director Nihad Awad, who is Palestinian American, said in a statement. "We will not allow the threats of anti-Palestinian racists and anti-Muslim bigots who seek to dehumanize the Palestinian people and silence American Muslims to stop us from pursuing justice for all."
Hamas militants from the blockaded Gaza Strip stormed into nearby Israeli towns on Oct. 7, which coincided with a major Jewish holiday. The attack killed hundreds of civilians. Since then, Israel has launched airstrikes on Gaza, destroying entire neighborhoods and killing hundreds of Palestinian civilians.
There have been concerns the war will inspire violence in the U.S. Last week, police in major cities increased patrols, authorities put up fencing around the U.S. Capitol and some schools closed. Law enforcement officials stressed there were no credible threats in the U.S.
But FBI Director Christopher Wray and FBI officials said Sunday in a rare phone briefing for reporters that threats in the U.S. have been rising since Hamas invaded Israel.
"The threat is very much ongoing and in fact, the threat picture continues to evolve," Wray said. "Here in the U.S., we cannot and do not discount the possibility that Hamas or other foreign terrorist organizations could exploit the conflict to call on their supporters to conduct attacks on our own soil."
He said Jews and Muslims alike, as well as their institutions and houses of worship, have been threatened in the U.S. and told reporters that the bureau is "moving quickly to mitigate" the threats.
- In:
- Hamas
- Israel
veryGood! (994)
Related
- Audit: California risked millions in homelessness funds due to poor anti-fraud protections
- Golden Bachelor’s Sandra Mason Reacts to Criticism Over Missing Daughter’s Wedding for the Show
- 'He was pretty hungry': Fisherman missing 2 weeks off Washington found alive
- How to right-click, easily add emojis and more with these Mac keyboard shortcuts
- North Carolina justices rule for restaurants in COVID
- Remains of former Chinese premier Li Keqiang to be cremated and flags to be lowered
- Zacha wins it in OT as Bruins rally from 2-goal deficit to beat Panthers 3-2
- Judge orders federal agents to stop cutting Texas razor wire for now at busy Mexico border crossing
- North Carolina trustees approve Bill Belichick’s deal ahead of introductory news conference
- US wages rose at a solid pace this summer, posing challenge for Fed’s inflation fight
Ranking
- Messi injury update: Ankle 'better every day' but Inter Miami star yet to play Leagues Cup
- China’s forces shadow a Philippine navy ship near disputed shoal, sparking new exchange of warnings
- Connecticut police officer under criminal investigation for using stun gun on suspect 3 times
- Alabama Trump supporter indicted for allegedly threatening Fulton County D.A. and sheriff
- Skins Game to make return to Thanksgiving week with a modern look
- Family sues Colorado funeral home where 189 decaying bodies were found over alleged fake ashes
- Woman poisons boyfriend to death over 'financial motives,' police say
- Biden’s Cabinet secretaries will push a divided Congress to send aid to Israel and Ukraine
Recommendation
How breaking emerged from battles in the burning Bronx to the Paris Olympics stage
A trial of New Zealand tourism operators in the volcanic eruption that killed 22 people ends
Flavor Flav goes viral after national anthem performance at Milwaukee Bucks game: Watch
Video shows breaching whale body-slam a 55-year-old surfer and drag him 30 feet underwater
Selena Gomez engaged to Benny Blanco after 1 year together: 'Forever begins now'
Live updates | Israeli ground forces attack Hamas targets in north as warplanes strike across Gaza
5 Things podcast: Israel expands its Gaza incursion, Maine shooting suspect found dead
Spain’s bishops apologize for sex abuses but dispute the estimated number of victims in report